Friday, May 18, 2007

My Favourite Dressing

There are two that I love, actually. One that I am dreaming about, especially after finding a forgotten cache of Manitoba strawberries in the freezer is our own recipe for a simple strawberry dressing.

Strawberry Salad Dressing
1 cup real strawberries (it just won't work with those clamshell Californians, sorry.)
1/2 cup Manitoba honey
1/2 cup cider vinegar.

Whirl this together in a blender and adjust the flavours to your own liking... more sweet? Add honey. More tart? Add vinegar. Want some extra zip? Add a dash of balsamic vinegar. Toss with a simple salad of mixed greens or spinach, nuts, finely sliced red onions and your favourite fruit.

The other is one I got from a friend, which we modified slightly. I almost always have it in my fridge. It is delicious on just about anything and I love it when it's poured over tomatoes, cucumbers and green onions. I usually squeeze just a bit extra grainy dijon into it, because I can't resist mustard.

Sweet Honey Mustard Dressing
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup apple sauce (or cider)
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup dijon mustard
1/4 cup white wine vinegar, or cider vinegar
salt and pepper to taste.

This is also great on a simple romaine salad tossed with seasonal fresh vegetables.

No comments: