Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Delicious

Because I was away this past week, Yvonne and Linda handled three medium size jobs with just the two of them. It all went very well, I'm told, but I sure do hate to miss those kinds of luncheons and dinners.

I like it that we plan the menu, shop, prepare, cook and serve together. We bus the tables, too. There's no hierarchy, even when we need to hire helpers (well, we don't let just anyone stir our soup) but I love being part of the process from beginning to end.

I like it that people rave about our cooking, not because we're Michelin-starred chefs, but (I think) because it's honest food. We refuse to take machine harvested, washed and chopped iceburg lettuce out of a bag with bits of carrot thrown in for appeal. We'd much rather wash and tear our own Romaine. Even better if we can get it from Neva Hydroponics and treat people to Manitoba-grown lettuce in the middle of winter. I really hate the term "home-style" cooking. How can something be home-style if it's made in a factory?

I like it that even though people really like what we cook, I know that it's also good for them. They leave feeling great, not sick or over-stuffed, but healthy.

It makes it all worth it.

2 comments:

Linda said...

I like it that when someone asks what's in the sauce or dressing or whatever, I can tell them exactly what's in it because you or Yvonne or I actually made it.

We missed you last week!

andrea said...

Yet another reason to move to Winnipeg!