Saturday, March 13, 2010

Of Beef Bourguignon and Kick Ass Ham

I don't know what came over me tonight. A huge desire to cook both an amazing ham and beef bourguignon. No matter that I was missing part of the ingredients for both... I had stewing beef and a ham on the bone. Since it's almost impossible for me to follow a recipe anyway, it seemed like a proper approach to use the ingredients I had at hand.

For the beef, I was only missing pearl onions. And I am too cheap to part with ALL my red wine. Instead a bottle of red wine and a wee bit of water, I used the rest of my box (I know, I know. Mock me.) and the white that Wes and Linda had in the fridge, opened, for a long time. I knew it was past its prime for drinking but that it would do just fine for cooking.

For the pork, I had bourbon, but was missing the molasses the recipe calls for.  (Hmmm. Priorities?) I decided to substitute the molasses for some delicious ginger marmalade I've been loving lately. Sounds good, no? Ginger/orange/bourbon/dijon ham?

I'll let you know if it's good as soon as we try it.

The beef bourguignon, we'll eat tomorrow. I think it needs to simmer something ridiculous like 6 hours or so.

And tomorrow? Tomorrow I grill Skate

Ironically, felt too lazy to try it today. Joey and I picked it up at Neptune's this morning.

Recipes and such to follow!