Sunday, May 27, 2007

Almost Salsa Salad

This sure went over well at our event this past weekend. And I must say, I thought it was delicious! Once again we didn't scrape a single plate (except for the person who methodically removed every red onion from their serving). I always think that empty plates are a good sign. I'm not sure what we'd do if we created something that everyone left behind. I suppose we'd be horrified and never make it again.



Anyway, I want to post the recipe even though I am leery about posting recipes, especially ones that we've heavily modified or created because we always go by "what looks good."

It used to drive me crazy when I'd ask my mom how to make something and she'd say, "You know, stir it until it feels right," or "cook it just so that it looks good." Anyway, modify this salad until it looks good. If you want some heat, add red pepper flakes to the olive oil. If you really like corn, make that the dominant vegetable instead of the tomatoes. If you don't have red peppers, add green, or yellow.



Enjoy!

Almost Salsa Salad

4 cups diced fresh tomatoes
1 1/2 cups corn (fresh or frozen)
1 1/2 cups black beans
1 cup chopped red pepper
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped

1 tbsp cumin seed
several cloves garlic
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup cider vinegar or other mild vinegar
1 lime, zested and juiced

Mix together vegetables and cilantro. Warm garlic and cumin in olive oil. Remove from heat and add vinegar, lime juice and zest. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Adjust all amounts to taste.

No comments: